Sunday, February 8, 2009

It's the most wonderful time of the year!!!!!!1

So softball has officially taken over my life now. Practice 6 days per week, lifting twice per week, long practices on the weekends...oi.

We had our first scrimmage today (OUTSIDE, BRRR) and it was awesome. Considering my first at-bat was a 3 run homer to right field off Ali, I'd say I'm off to a pretty good start! Then I walked, then I hit a really hard line drive at Dev that she couldn't field, then I hit a single to right to bring in the game-winning run in the last inning. The team I was on (the red team) won 10-9 after holding off the white squad in the bottom of the last inning. Woo wooooo.

This year, I think we are going to rely on our bats pretty heavily. Our defense is great, don't get me wrong, but we're still lacking the true #3 pitcher in our rotation. Right now, it looks as if it will be Nikki, a walk-on freshman. She's pretty good.

But what will win us our games will definitey be our big sticks and timely hitting. Here's the batting order and positions I think Coach Blood should do:

1. Devon - 2B. A real good leadoff batter who can definitely start things early for us.
2. Marissa - LF. A slapper who can bunt/slap and just put the ball in play for us.
3. Aly - SS. Power hitter capable of driving in runs if she doesn't freak out.
4. Elise - 3B. Hot and cold sometimes...but when she's hot she's on fire.
5. Me - 1B. I make good contact. I'm working on becoming more of a power hitter though.
6. Jessy - RF. When she hits the ball she hits it HARD.
7. Keener - DP. She's a frosh but she can fricken rip the ball.
8. Meg - CF. This girl can hit the ball farther than I've ever seen.
9. Vanessa - C. When she makes contact its good. It's just a matter of staying on a hot streak.

I doubt this will be the actual order that we will post come game-time...but whatever. It's just what I feel is the best for the team, based on what I saw in the scrimmage today. Who knows what goes on in Coach's mind...he sees things way different than we do.

Anyways, softball is great. It provides me with a concrete schedule and I find that I'm a better student during season. The social aspect of life calms down a bit, but I still find some quality "me time" on some Wednesday or Thursday nights...lol.

And as much as the green room sucks...it's way better than the freezing cold weather outside :)

No comments: